Toon onbeantwoorde berichten | Toon actieve onderwerpen Het is nu 28 maart 2024, 12:43

Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 6 berichten ] 
 Bayonet M-1908 (Uruguay) 
Auteur Bericht
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht Bayonet M-1908 (Uruguay)
- I recently got as a "bonus" in a bayonet trade a bayonet [with no scabbard] which to me seems to be the M-1908 used by Uruguay. The bayonet had plenty of rust and pitting at the middle of the blade [on both sides]. I was able to clean and polish the fullered blade without to damage its profile. The blade now has no rust or pitting and it shines like new. The bayonet cannot be mounted to the 7.92mm rifles I have [Czech VZ-24 and Mauser 98K] because their bayonet lug is too long. I'm pretty sure this bayonet is for a 7mm Mauser rifle [which fires the 7X57 rimless round] with a short bayonet lug, a type of weapon imported and used by many countries from South America during early 20th century. ---> Bayonet dimensions: 1) Overall length = 414mm; 2) Blade length = 282mm; 3) Muzzle ring [interiour] diameter = 15.5mm; 4) Blade width [at crossguard] = 24.1mm; 5) Blade thickness [at crossguard] = 5.4mm. On each side of the blade there is a 215mm long fuller having rounded ends and a width of 10-11mm. ---> My picture will be posted below. See my M-1908 bayonet [top] and for comparison there is a 1944 German made S.84/98 bayonet [bottom]. => I'll have for later 2 more pictures and comments for the M-1908 bayonet. Orita 11/11/08

12 nov 2008, 05:30
Profiel
Site Admin

Bericht 
Afbeelding

12 nov 2008, 07:37
Profiel WWW
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- The last 2 pictures I have for this topic will be posted below. ---> LEFT photo: This M-1908 bayonet (Uruguay) has wooden grips which are in very good condition. The grips are secured to the blade tang by 2 rivets on washers. As you can see in my photo, both rivets are off to the right to allow a long cut-out made into the blade tang for the rifle cleaning rod. Since the cut-out is into the blade tang [under the grips], it cannot be seen. At left [in my photo] you'll see the 3 parts of the locking system: the "L"-shaped locking piece, the little spring and the round nut with the diameter of 11.1mm. I did stab the white cardboard and the blade profie is visible [under the muzzle ring]. The diagonal pommel is brazed to the blade tang. ---> RIGHT photo: The only mark on this M-1908 bayonet is the serial number "3464" stamped on the left side of the crossguard. I have no idea WHEN and WHERE this M-1908 bayone was manufactured. Anyone who may know, please post here. Note in my photo the cleaning slot [size 2 X 5 mm] at the top of the wooden grip [both grips have it] under the crosspiece. The crosspiece is fixed to the bayonet blade with 2 rivets. When I got this M-1908 bayonet, the crosspiece had a small up-and-down movement. I cut a few small pieces from an used "Wilkinson" razor blade and carefully I inserted them into the thin space between the crosspiece and grips [on both sides]. After that I put into that thin space "Elmer's Ultimate Glue" which does form a perfect bond and glues anything [wood, stone, metal, etc.] Now the crosspiece is practically "frozen" and it doesn't move, like it should be. Orita 11/12/08

13 nov 2008, 05:24
Profiel
Site Admin

Bericht 
Afbeelding

13 nov 2008, 08:52
Profiel WWW
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- For those who want to know a little more about the bayonets used by Uruguay, after 1918 the Belgian FN 1924 rifles and bayonets were imported. The Czech made VZ-24 rifle was also imported by Uruguay before 1939 [officially named in Uruguay the "1937 short rifle"], together with its knife bayonet having a 299mm long blade. The Czech vz/24 knife bayonet has normally the blade edge [the sharpened side of the blade] orientated on the same side with the muzzle ring but the vz/24 bayonets exported to Uruguay had the sharpened edge on the lower side of the fullered blade [like most of the bayonets]. Orita 11/14/08

14 nov 2008, 06:13
Profiel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- A friend of mine has a 7mm Mod.1908 Brazilian bolt-action rifle made in Germany [Deutsche Waffen-und-Munitions Fabriken Oberndorf] for export. My bayonet is definitely for this type of rifle, it can be fixed very well. Orita 11/27/08

28 nov 2008, 05:21
Profiel
Antwoord op onderwerp   [ 6 berichten ]