Toon onbeantwoorde berichten | Toon actieve onderwerpen Het is nu 28 maart 2024, 13:56

Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 25 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina 1, 2  Volgende
 Bayonet photography 
Auteur Bericht
Brigade-Generaal
Brigade-Generaal

Bericht 
I do appreciate your photographic efforts, Orita. My first camera was a DDR made Praktica camera and I used to develop my own films and make my own prints in black and white. I still have the full equipment stored in my attic. Later I moved to the Nikon F series.

For bayonet pictures I prefer daylight as well, mainly because it is quick and easy and I use an old digital Nikon Coolpix 4300. Should you ever consider a digital camera for taking photographs of your bayonets, I can highly recommend to find yourself a second hand Nikon Coolpix 4300. It´s cheaper and takes superior pictures than most new cameras. I bought mine new about 6 years ago and I still prefer it over my wifes new Sony camera. The Nikon Coolpix 4300 is quite hopeless when it comes to moving objects, but that is no problem as long as you can convince your bayonets to sit still when the picture is taken.

As for socket bayonets, I have a common Soviet Russian M1891/30, a P1853/74, a P1895 and some No4 spikes, which technically are socket bayonets as well.

I am looking forward to seeing your further photographs.

12 sep 2008, 20:15
Profiel
Brigade-Generaal
Brigade-Generaal

Bericht 
I must correct myself: My first camera was an AGFA Clack, then came the Praktica. I still have it somewhere. :mrgreen:

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Clack

12 sep 2008, 20:20
Profiel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- @ Kilian: Back in Romania [starting with the year 1970] I used to develop my own films and make my own prints in black and white too. It's a skill you can never forget. Taking pictures to bayonets and their markings is very easy. I collect here is USA fired [inert] shell cases [caliber 12,7mm to 40mm] and to take very close quality pictures showing the headstamp markings is much demanding than bayonet pictures. For those who don't know, almost all the shell cases [brass or steel] have markings stamped around the primer at the base [head] or black ink markings on the side. I like to study these markings and sometimes I write articles about their meaning. Many times I also take close pictures showing insects and flowers from my own garden. Orita 09/12/08

12 sep 2008, 22:23
Profiel
Brigade-Generaal
Brigade-Generaal

Bericht 
Headstamp pictures are easy. :mrgreen:

Afbeelding

12 sep 2008, 23:34
Profiel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- @ Kilian: No, not like that! The picture should show a full clear image of the headstamp markings. Orita 09/12/08 P.S. If I start a topic with headstamp images, it will have nothing to do with bayonets or the purpose of this forum and I don't want to upset our webmaster.

13 sep 2008, 00:39
Profiel
Brigade-Generaal
Brigade-Generaal

Bericht 
Comme ci?

Afbeelding

13 sep 2008, 13:34
Profiel
Veldmaarschalk
Veldmaarschalk

Bericht 
What setup do you use?
light etc.

13 sep 2008, 17:40
Profiel
Brigade-Generaal
Brigade-Generaal

Bericht 
jdeleur schreef:
What setup do you use?
light etc.

Who are you asking this?

13 sep 2008, 20:24
Profiel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- @ Kilian: Your photo shows a headstamp for a Dutch made 20mm [20X139] shell case made of steel. The shell case head [base] has a diameter of 28mm. Unfortunately the brass primer screw with the diameter of 14mm is missing, too bad since it has nice markings too. Your picture isn't too bad but you could do much better [according with my standard]. The use of light is not too good. ---> I'll post later tonight 2 of my pictures with explanations and comments about the use of light and the special device I made. Orita 09/13/08

13 sep 2008, 21:44
Profiel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- @ Kilian: I just noticed that in your first picture from above [showing 10 headstamps together] you have those 20mm rimless Hispano brass cases [20X110] fired by the 20mm Hispano aircraft cannon, all rounds are of British manufacture. I have plenty of 20mm Hispano [20X110] and 20mm Oerlikon "S" fired shell cases with rebated rim [20X110RB] made in USA but none made in England during WW2. Orita 09/13/08

13 sep 2008, 22:01
Profiel
Brigade-Generaal
Brigade-Generaal

Bericht 
Orita schreef:
- @ Kilian: Your photo shows a headstamp for a Dutch made 20mm [20X139] shell case made of steel. The shell case head [base] has a diameter of 28mm. Unfortunately the brass primer screw with the diameter of 14mm is missing, too bad since it has nice markings too. Your picture isn't too bad but you could do much better [according with my standard]. The use of light is not too good. ---> I'll post later tonight 2 of my pictures with explanations and comments about the use of light and the special device I made. Orita 09/13/08

Yes Orita, it was made by NWM De Kruithoorn on a contract for the German armed forces, as I´m sure you´ll have recognised. I don´t recall exactly how I got these, probably via, via, directly from the factory in ´s-Hertogenbosch, where I lived until 20 years ago. Anyway, I don´t collect shell casings, but I do happen to have a few empty casings in my box of Pandora. And it is always good fun to dig things up which you merely had forgotten about. :mrgreen:

You are right regarding the picture: As I have just placed it on my desk under a window and took a picture for fun, the lighting is from one side.

BTW: Do you happen to know if the Lot Number gives a clue as to the year of manufacture? I expect 1970´s or early 1980´s.

Laatst bijgewerkt door Kilian op 14 sep 2008, 00:45, in totaal 2 keer bewerkt.

13 sep 2008, 22:17
Profiel
Brigade-Generaal
Brigade-Generaal

Bericht 
Orita schreef:
- @ Kilian: I just noticed that in your first picture from above [showing 10 headstamps together] you have those 20mm rimless Hispano brass cases [20X110] fired by the 20mm Hispano aircraft cannon, all rounds are of British manufacture. I have plenty of 20mm Hispano [20X110] and 20mm Oerlikon "S" fired shell cases with rebated rim [20X110RB] made in USA but none made in England during WW2. Orita 09/13/08

Yes, I know these are all English. After the invasion in Normandy the allied airforces were preparing the further advances by groundtroops through France, Belgium and the Southern part of The Netherlands by shooting at everything that moved on road, rail or waterways. The spent cases and links were expelled from the aircraft and fell on the ground. These falling cases and links posed a serious hazard to civilians, as such a falling case can crack a skull quite easily. My late father was a young teenager during WW2 and picked these casings and links up from the main road close to his parental home near Breda in The Netherlands during summer or fall of 1944. If I remember correctly he told they were fired from a Typhoon, which is quite possible of course, as it was equipped with 20mm Hispano Suiza guns.

Afbeelding

14 sep 2008, 00:40
Profiel
Veldmaarschalk
Veldmaarschalk

Bericht 
Kilian schreef:
jdeleur schreef:
What setup do you use?
light etc.

Who are you asking this?

You :D

14 sep 2008, 00:44
Profiel
Brigade-Generaal
Brigade-Generaal

Bericht 
jdeleur schreef:
You :D

I like it quick and easy, so I used normal daylight from an overcast sky and no special equipment, apart from a tripod for my camera to avoid motion unsharpness at 1/30 sec exposuretime with F2.8. You can get technically better pics by using special lighting, but this quality suits my personal needs, i.e. readable markings, without too much hassle. Normally I prefer to photograph stampings on bayonets under a slight angle, rather than directly from above, as this usually makes poor stampings better visible.

Example:

Afbeelding

14 sep 2008, 01:03
Profiel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- @ Kilian: Since I like comparison pictures, I usually take photos showing 2 headstamps together. I made my own device to keep in position both cartridges with the head [base] up. My device can be adjusted horizontally, vertically and can be rotated too and I can take pictures to live or fired cartridges up to 23mm caliber, in any combination I need [fired case with live round and different calibers together]. Both heads of the cartridge cases MUST be perfectly on the same level. No shadows must be on the headstamps or around. The sun-light must fall on a certain angle on the shell head surface[s] and it depends if the shell case is made of brass or steel. On my device I also have an adjustable sheet of metal covered with clean white cardboard for background. => Two of my close pictures will be posted here. ---> Photo 1: There are 2 fired shell cases of Romanian manufacture, both made of steel. The headstamp from left is for a 12.7X108 cartridge with a head [base] diameter of 21.6mm. The two digit date "81" is for the year of manufacture 1981. Note the clear mark left by the ejector [at 4-5 o'clock position] during the extraction and ejection process. The headstamp from right is for a 14.5X114 cartridge with a head [base] diameter of 26.9mm. The two digit date "85" is for the year of manufacture 1985. Note how good the light falls on both items and the only shadow is seen inside of the firing pin indent, showing you the direction from where the sun-light came. On a headstamp photo the image clarity is a must. Note: Both headstamps have no manufacturer's mark [but I know which Romanian ammo plant made them], typical for the Romanian headstamps from 1980s. ---> Photo 2: There is a hairy yellow and black bumble-bee from a very close distance. One day during the spring [a few years ago] I noticed on the ground in the garden this insect, it looked dizzy and confused. I put the insect on a white cardboard, the bumble-bee was moving very slowly but I was able to take 3 photos. After a few moments the insect recovered and did fly away. I was taking close pictures to some headstamps and the camera was ready and the light was perfect. As you can see, there are no shadows. ---> This is the quality I like to have on my close photos [headstamps, insects, flowers, etc]. Any comments or questions??? Orita 09/14/08 P.S. I don't use any device to keep my camera when I take close pictures. I have a very steady hand. Taking a close photo you must control your breath, it's like firing a rifle or carbine for accuracy.

14 sep 2008, 05:21
Profiel
Antwoord op onderwerp   [ 25 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina 1, 2  Volgende