Toon onbeantwoorde berichten | Toon actieve onderwerpen Het is nu 28 maart 2024, 23:30

Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 5 berichten ] 
 U.S. M-1816 socket bayonet 
Auteur Bericht
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht U.S. M-1816 socket bayonet
- I'm very lucky to have in my collection an original American made M-1816 socket bayonet but I don't have the scabbard for it. The U.S. M-1816 socket bayonet was made for the .69 caliber [17.5mm] M-1816 flintlock smoothbore musket, weapon used in 1836 during the battle and siege of Alamo [in Texas]. The M-1816 musket also was used together with the M-1835 during the Mexican War [1846-48], the war between U.S. and Mexico. ---> The U.S. M-1816 socket bayonet has a triangular blade with deep wide flutes [fullers] but the top face of the blade has only a 209mm long flute [about 1/2 from the blade length]. The tip of the blade has a prow point. The socket has NO locking ring [with tension screw] since the M-1816 bayonet was the last U.S. bayonet type without locking ring. The socket has a T-mortise and a bridge at the rear, in contrast with the U.S. M-1812 socket bayonet which has an L-mortise with no bridge. ---> Dimensions: => Overall length = 482mm; => Blade length = 406mm; => Socket length = 76mm; => Socket [inside] diameter = aprox. 21mm; => Blade width [by the shank] = 23mm. Four of my pictures will be posted here [two and two together]. ---> Photo 1: TOP => Close side view of the socket, note the mark "S 89" [stamped exactly between the mortise and the socket front]. BOTTOM => The full image of the U.S. M-1816 socket bayonet [which is on the right side of the weapon when is attached]. ---> Photo 2: TOP => Note the socket bridge and a perfect image showing the T-mortise. BOTTOM => On the top flat surface of the triangular blade [by the shank] there is deeply marked "US" over "JB". There is also visible below half of the letter "H". From what I know, the mark "JB" indicates inspection made by Mr. James Bell who was active in 1827. ---> Note: I love this socket bayonet very much. It is in a very nice condition considering its age, most of the U.S. M-1816 socket bayonets can be found today badly pitted and full of rust. Orita 09/09/08 P.S. The M-1816 socket bayonet was also used during the the American Civil War [1861-65] but only in the first years.

10 sep 2008, 04:48
Profiel
Site Admin

Bericht 
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

10 sep 2008, 07:38
Profiel WWW
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- For those interested to see and admire an original unmodified U.S. M-1816 (Type 3) flintlock musket, enter here at ---> http://www.19thcenturyweapons.com/galle ... hnson.html The U.S. M-1816 socket bayonet is for this weapon. => NOTE: The bayonet lug is at the top of the barrel, it looks like a front sight but it isn't an aiming device [see the 5th of the small photos]. The French flintlock muskets from the same period of time had the bayonet lug located under the barrel. In both situations [U.S. and French bayonet lug location] the blade of the attached socket bayonet was on the right side of the weapon. Orita 09/11/08

12 sep 2008, 05:02
Profiel
Brigade-Generaal
Brigade-Generaal

Bericht 
Thank you for posting some socket bayonets from your collection. I find it interesting to see these and read your comments, but I am unable to give you any helpful information on these. As with most bayonet collectors my knowledge on socket bayonets is very limited and I donĀ“t like writing "wow nice find" postings without any substance. Hope you appreciate that.

12 sep 2008, 18:19
Profiel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- @ Kilian: I do appreciate any comment from anyone! I have more types of 19th century socket bayonets but I've not taken pictures to them yet. Since I only use the filtrated sun-light and the weather here is still very hot and extremely humid [in the "South" / USA], I've been unable to take all the photos I want. I don't use a modern digital camera, I only use a 35mm German "Pentacon MTL-5" camera with "Tessar 2.8/50 Carl Zeiss Jena" lenses [both the camera and the lenses are made in the former DDR / East Germany]. To take closer pictures [between 35 cm to 4 or 5 cm] I use aluminum tubes between the camera and lenses. ---> I'll post more topics about the socket bayonets from my collecion as soon as I have ready the pictures. I do like the bayonets which are a real piece of history. Orita 09/12/08

12 sep 2008, 19:43
Profiel
Antwoord op onderwerp   [ 5 berichten ]