Toon onbeantwoorde berichten | Toon actieve onderwerpen Het is nu 28 maart 2024, 21:30

Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 4 berichten ] 
 Austrian M-1854 Lorenz socket bayonet 
Auteur Bericht
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht Austrian M-1854 Lorenz socket bayonet
- The Austrian M-1854 Lorenz socket bayonet was made for the .54 caliber [13,7mm] Lorenz rifle-musket which later was modified to .58 caliber [14,7mm]. Manufactured between 1854-67, this Austrian weapon and the bayonet for it was also used during the American Civil War [1861-65] by both the Union and Confederate Army. An interesting article about the Austrian made M-1854 rifle can be read here at http://www.washingtonbluerifles.com/bilbylorenz.htm I have in my collection the original Austrian M-1854 Lorenz socket bayonet with no scabbard. The bayonet has a socket with an unusual diagonal mortise slot and there is a median locking ring with a tension screw. The bayonet blade is 4-sided. ---> Dimensions: => Socket length = 81mm; => Socket [inside] diameter = 19,4mm; => Blade length = 486mm; => Overall length = 562mm; => Shank length = aprox. 30mm Four of my pictures will be posted [two and two together]. ---> Photo 1: TOP => Note the socket of the bayonet having the diagonal mortise slot. There is on the white cardboard the mark left after I did stab it with the cruciform blade. BOTTOM => See the full image of the Austrian M-1854 Lorenz socket bayonet. Below you'll see for comparison the Austrian made M-1893 Mannlicher bayonet [see the topic] used by Romanians and later modified by the Turks. ---> Photo 2: TOP => Note the socket collar and bridge and the median ring. The number "61" is marked on the bridge collar, could it be the inspector's mark???? There is also an "asterisk" [star-like sign] stamped on the shank [elbow] and I know for sure this is the Austrian verification stamp. BOTTOM => On the other side of the shank there is stamped "9.13." over "173." and these numbers show Austrian unit-markings. Anyone who knows which Austrian military units were represented by these numbers??? Orita 08/19/08 P.S. As I mentioned above, I don't have the scabbard for this Austrian M-1854 Lorenz socket bayonet. I know that the origial scabbard was made of leather covered wood and iron mounts.

19 aug 2008, 05:40
Profiel
Site Admin

Bericht 
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

19 aug 2008, 15:21
Profiel WWW
Veldmaarschalk
Veldmaarschalk

Bericht 
I have one of the turked M-1893 Mannlicher bayonets.
Unfortunatly as with all turked bayonets no old markings are left.

19 aug 2008, 21:03
Profiel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- @ jdeleur: Why don't you post a picture of your bayonet [to the right topic]??? Orita 08/19/08

20 aug 2008, 04:12
Profiel
Antwoord op onderwerp   [ 4 berichten ]