Toon onbeantwoorde berichten | Toon actieve onderwerpen Het is nu 28 maart 2024, 16:53

Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 8 berichten ] 
 "Orita" - New member 
Auteur Bericht
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht "Orita" - New member
- Since I only know Romanian, French and English, I must post here my lines of introduction. I was born in Eastern Europe in mid-1950s and I spent there a few decades. I left my country of birth many years ago. I live in USA.

I'm interested in military history, militaria items [belt buckles, inert ordnance, etc.], WW1 and WW2 weapons, photography and bayonets. I like to take close pictures to the bayonets I have using a German 35mm camera. Recently I sold some of the bayonets from my collection and I decided to collect 19th century socket bayonets too. It isn't easy to find today socket bayonets which are 150 or 200 years old and in very good condition but I've been lucky to get some very interesting items in the condition I like. I already have these socket bayonets in my collection [none has the original scabbard]: U.S. M-1816, French M-1822, British Patt.1853, British Patt.1853/72 [bushed for the Martini-Henry rifle], Austrian M-1854 Lorenz and British Patt.1876 [bushed and modified in Egypt for the .303 Martini-Enfield rifle].

I'm about to get a Russian made M-1891 Mosin-Nagant socket bayonet [the early model with median ring and tension screw] and a leather copy of the scabbard for this model, scabbard made in Finland. I also have quite a few Russian M-1891/30 Mosin-Nagant socket bayonets which are very common today. Sometimes I had to make new grips for the knife bayonets or even the complete locking mechanism which had been missing.

I like collecting bayonets, it's an interesting hobby which teaches also about weapons, history and geography. I hope you guys will be interested to see pictures of my bayonets and read my comments. I have a few unanswered questions about some of my bayonets and I hope I can find the answers here on this forum.

---> NOTE: Unfortunately I cannot post my own pictures because I only have a "WebTV" (ISP), a simple device which isn't a computer, it cannot be updated, it cannot download, etc. I know nothing about computers and this new stuff, this is definitely not my field. I can e-mail my picture(s) to somebody else with no problem. I only need somebody to post my pictures after I post my comments and I can e-mail my pictures to that person. I hope somebody will be kind enough to help me with this technicality.

Thanks in advance, Orita 08/05/08
P.S. I post my lines using the name of "Orita" which was the first Romanian made submachine-gun ["9mm Orita M1941"]. Today this weapon is very scarce and I wrote an article about it.

06 aug 2008, 04:33
Profiel
Site Admin

Bericht 
Hi Orita,
you can send the pictures to me if you want (you have got my e-mail already).
I don't know the Webtv specifications but it surprises me that clicking the "add image to post" wouldn't work.

web translation of a previous post about adding pictures : http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ajonet.be/

06 aug 2008, 06:49
Profiel WWW
Luitenant-Kolonel
Luitenant-Kolonel

Bericht 
Welcome Orita,
I hope to see your pictures soon so we may be able to help you.
The only socket bayonet I currently have is a Dutch M1871 "Beaumont" (second model).
Ofcourse I also have a couple of Commonwealth spikes.
Anyway, very nice to have you here.

06 aug 2008, 10:04
Profiel
Brigade-Generaal
Brigade-Generaal

Bericht 
Welkom Orita to the forum :wink:

06 aug 2008, 19:49
Profiel
Veldmaarschalk
Veldmaarschalk

Bericht 
Welcome to the forum!
Let's show us your collection.

06 aug 2008, 19:52
Profiel
Kolonel
Kolonel

Bericht 
Hello Liviu,

Nice to see you are able to post on the forum now!
I hope you don't mind I'm posting the picture you've send me perhaps you can tell the others what they are.
Have fun,
Afbeelding

06 aug 2008, 23:42
Profiel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- Eric posted above my picture which I had sent him to see 3 of my socket bayonets. These socket bayonets are: TOP => U.S. M-1816 marked on the triangular blade by the shank with "US" and "JB" [the inspector's mark who was active in 1827]. This bayonet has no locking ring with the tension screw because the U.S. M-1816 socket bayonet was the last type of American socket bayonet without this device. This type of socket bayonet was used as late the first years of the American Civil War [1861-65]. MIDDLE => British Patt.1853 for the Enfield rifle. This socket bayonet was manufactured in large numbers and it was used in many conflicts. Starting with early 1870s the Patt.1853 socket bayonet was bushed to fit the Martini-Henry rifle [and became the Patt.1853/72], the weapon which obtained a celebrity status during the Anglo-Zulu war from South Africa [remember the battles of Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift on January 22/23 1879]. I also have in my collection the Patt.1853/72 socket bayonet. BOTTOM => Austrian M-1854 socket bayonet for the Lorenz rifle. The socket has a diagonal mortise slot which makes very easy to recogize the Austrian M-1854 socket bayonet. NOTE: Both the British Patt.1853 and the Austrian M-1854 Lorenz socket bayonets [having median locking rings] were also used during the American Civil War [1861-65] by the Union and Confederate armies. Unfortunately I don't have the scabbards for these 3 socket bayonets. Orita 08/06/08

07 aug 2008, 04:09
Profiel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bericht 
- Thank you all for the kind words. ---> @ virjinz: I will e-mail you my pictures which have to be posted. Thanks in advance for your help. The "WebTV" is already an old and obsolete device which allows me only to send and receive e-mails, to post messages on some forums and to search the internet. It's a simple device but I don't have to worry about viruses and another problems very common for a computer. Orita 08/06/08

07 aug 2008, 04:20
Profiel
Antwoord op onderwerp   [ 8 berichten ]